Wednesday, March 22, 2017

Story Planning: Karna's Storyline


(Karna's death)



I am going to try something different by actually taking a week to plan out my story this time. Next week, my story will be a perspective piece centered around Karna because I think hes a very interesting character forced by circumstance to take the short end of quite a few different sticks. I want to keep the details of the Pandavas story the same but really get into what Karna feels about everything that happens to him and all the different slights he is forced to endure because his mother did not keep him when he was born.

Specifically, the thing I think is so interesting about Karna is that his whole life seems to slowly build up to his death. From the moment he is born, he is set up to have to fight for and consequently lose the things he wants most. That, I would argue, ultimately leads to his demise.

Karna is essentially a very moral character and doesnt seem interested in the power or glory that should honestly be his birthright since hes the son of a princess and the sun god. I want to show that he doesnt sin in a way that merits the disrespect and scorn he receives when he attempts to interact with the princes and brahmins he meets.

I also specifically want to use his unique perspective to show that the Pandavas actions can be construed in a variety of ways. They are neither inherently nor entirely good. Karna is an excellent character for exploring this perspective because he is more morally grounded than Duryodhana and also suffers slights from the Pandavas that he doesnt earn.

Specifically, I would like to highlight a couple of their interactions. I want to see the scene where Draupadi insults Karna. I would also like to write the scene where the Pandavas attempt to battle Karna only to end up mocking him for his simple origins and lack of proven royal blood. As a sister piece, I may consider writing from Kuntis perspective later so I can imagine how she may have been invested in Karnas actions and choices without directly involving herself. I would love to explore her thoughts on the situations Karna faces.

Bibliography: Edified Mahabharata

3 comments:

  1. I love that you start off this story planning by saying that you are trying something different. Having a wide range of writing ability is important, especially in a class like this. It will allow you to have a lot of creative freedom and find which style works best for you. I think that you story sounds really interesting! The use of all the characters shows your understanding of the material. I look forward to reading this story!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bethany, I also found Karna to be an extremely interesting character and incorporated him into my story this week. I think it will be great to see some of the different scenes such as the one where Draupadi insults Karna from Karna’s point of view. The Epified Mahabharata didn’t give much insight into what he was feeling so I think this will make a great story.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it's awesome that you are taking an opportunity in this class to try something different this week by story planning. I think the idea you have for this story should be very interesting. You seem to really know what you are going to for this story. I look forward to seeing the d=finished product!

    ReplyDelete