Sunday, February 12, 2017

Feedback Focus


I like the technique of reading aloud for the fact that it forces me to slow down the pace at which I read the story, but I dont think it is a technique I could use often because I would feel uncomfortable reading stories aloud in public. I dont think I read anything that I would have missed otherwise either, but I did slow down enough to thoroughly enjoy the story rather than hurrying through it. I may use this one if I am reading from home.

The interesting thing about the copy and delete method is that it forces me to note details throughout the story. Unfortunately, this method takes me a much longer time to complete because I get bogged down trying to write down just one note after each paragraph. If I write more I end up with too many notes, and If I try to limit myself I spend too long trying to determine which note would serve me best. If I only wrote notes after some paragraphs this one might be feasible. Otherwise, this method is too time-consuming to be very effective for me.

As to the final method, one thing I like is that the time limit encourages me to go back and explore new aspects of the story on different readings of the story. Another aspect of this method that I really appreciate is that it is inherent to the nature of the method that I will know how long it will take me to get a good set of notes on the section I am reading which allows me to break up the work if necessary.


For me, I think the third focus technique with the timer is going to be the most useful one. It allows me to schedule the amount of time this portion of my work will take me but still pay ample attention to the piece and take good notes as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment