Wednesday, February 22, 2017

Reading Notes: PDE Mahabharata Part C

I would like to think that the brothers will benefit from this series of misfortunes. While they are currently more morally sound than their cousins seem to be, they could benefit from a measure of humility.

It seems that Bhima and Draupadi, at least, have not learned from their sufferings yet that which they could learn. I hope by the end of the tale that they will come to recognize that the reason they are in this mess is their pride and lack of careful thought.

The motif of prayers and penances resulting in the blessing of powerful weapons is prominent in both of the epics we have read so far as with the motif of contests to win brides. I think that this could be easily included in a story about someone trying to complete a great quest.

I like that this portion of the story was included. It's important that we know Arjuna was actually trained to use these weapons, and this even shows how he became a more seasoned warrior.

The theme of learning lessons seems to be settling well with Yudhishthira and Arjuna, but I still haven't seen Draupadi or Bhima learning. Character development is essential to creating effective characters, and I would like to see how this journey is changing the others.

I wonder what the purpose of the inclusion of this scene outlining the caste system was. Historically it would allude to a method of keeping people within the mindset that their caste was something of a birthright intended to allow them their specific means of attaining paradise. I suppose that's because this is something of a religious text. 

Clearly neither Bhima nor Duryodhana are learning anything at all from these misadventures. Duryodhana has been forgiven and blessed with life by the Pandavas and he just hates them more every time they have shown him kindness.

That is a very strategic play by Karna. He seems to be a great warrior, but I know nothing of his character as a person. Based on his practice of giving whatever is asked of him after worship, I believe that if I write about him I will write him as a pious, misguided man. He doesn't seem evil, just misplaced.

There seems to be a common practice of carrying off women in this setting. This could be easily rewritten to include the same events with different motivations. Perhaps Draupadi is not loyal to these men she's married. Maybe Jayadratha kidnapped her as a political ploy. Maybe Jayadratha invited her to the palace to await her husbands so they could all eat and drink together, and the situation was a misunderstanding.

The riddle minigame in the middle of the quest was rather surprising. It goes to show that even Arjuna has not learned much from exile. I'm going to write that part a bit differently if I include this portion of the story. I prefer to include reasonable character development.

This is perhaps the most strategically sound move the Pandavas have made in some time. Also, I want to know where Arjuna's second wife has gone.

Bhima's most redeeming quality is his determination that none should shame his wife. Draupadi is actually relatively terrifying in how coldly she enjoys this man's death.

If I write about the actual battle that ensues from all this political chaos it will be briefly. The political intrigue surrounding this situation is much more intellectually engaging than the battle itself.

Bibliography: PDE Mahabharata

1 comment:

  1. This name chart is the best thing I have ever seen! I felt like the characters from this story were harder to keep straight then in the Ramayana. One thing that really strikes me about your notes is how much reflection you put into each one. I think that that is a great way to prepare yourself for Wednesday's story due date. I always have trouble with that. When I get to Wednesday it always takes me a while to figure out what I am going to write. I will definitely be trying to take more detailed notes like you in the future! Great job!

    ReplyDelete