Monday, February 20, 2017

Reading Notes: PDE Mahabharata Part B


I really like the first story for its inclusion of a moral "inside man" to save the protagonists. Vidura's actions in sending Varanavata give a good explanation for how the family could survive the devious plot. I also think I was right in assuming that this would be a story littered with intrigue.

It seems to me that Hidimba's sister could be an asset for the group. I wonder if she will ask to stay and travel with them since she has fallen in love with Bhima. Would it be unnatural for someone to take a rakshasa wife in this culture? I've read a story where a king's bride is a rakshasa, but I don't believe that he knew.

I am glad that they didn't kill Hidimbi, but I don't understand why she and her son left. I will probably concoct a good reason that they would part ways amicably if I write about them.

Bhima has a signature move, and it's breaking people's backs.

At this point I am, admittedly, having some trouble keeping the pantheon of characters straight. I may look up or create a set of lineage charts for the Mahabharata. I wonder whether one of the brothers will win Draupadi or if they will be recognized at this big gathering.

Okay. She will marry all of them.

I'm very interested to see how this will evolve from her marrying Arjuna to her marrying Arjuna and all of his brothers.

It seems to me that this is a very strange decision-making process. How do they even know that Draupadi is the incarnation of this woman? I think if I include this portion in my story I'm just going to write it in a modern setting with Draupadi as a polyamorous woman in consenting relationships with the five men.


I find it interesting that now that Duryodhana has utterly failed to murder his cousins they make peace. This is about a power struggle and picking your battles so that your subjects remain obedient and loyal.

Did Arjuna marry Ulupi or cheat on Draupadi with her? What are the moral implications of his snake person baby? Is this all Ulupi has to do with this story or will he bring her back with him? I'm trying to figure out if all of Arjuna's adventures center around his infidelity to the wife he shares with his brothers. Now he has another wife, and she (Chitra) has given him another son. I really don't know how to feel about these adventures. Arjuna is seriously just roaming the country having sex and taking wives. He has now stolen a woman. On this journey he has taken two new wives, one of whom has not accompanied him back to Indraprashtha, and sired two different sons who have also not accompanied him.

I feel that there should be a better reason than the one they were given to allow an entire forest to burn to the ground.

I honestly feel terrible about Duryodhana struggling so abundantly to navigate doors and water in his cousins' fancy palace, but I feel like it might be some measure of karma given the fact that he literally tried to have them all burned to death in a palace he claimed was some kind of gift for them. I don't understand why they seem to trust him now. Do they not know that the palace burning was his plot?

So many conflicts are solved by some form or other of violence and death.

I think the reason that Duryodhana and his family are meant to be the villains is because their actions lack honor or justice. It is obvious that the Pandavas have done some things which are immoral and wrong, but their cousins are downright cruel in many instances.

I can not believe that the princes actually gambled with that man twice. For him to win that many times without cheating would be nearly impossible. They should know better than to trust him after his first treachery.

I think that this cast seems to be filled with every manner of fool, and I fully intend to exploit that fact in my storytelling.

Bibliography: PDE Mahabharata


No comments:

Post a Comment