Tuesday, April 11, 2017

Reading Notes: Neogi's Sacred Tales of India Part C


(Gander)
The Gift of the Ascetic

I think it's interesting the way that the cycle of karma is focused in this story. If I was going to rewrite this story, I would probably write. the ascetic as some sort of con man. Alternatively, I could write the story from his perspective and explore a line of storytelling wherein he is actually praying for or in some way causing the infertility of the king.

The Sun's Twin Sons

I don't like that the mother seems to simply fall out of this story as if she were not the main cause of the boys' situation. It isn't fair to her sons. She seems to simply abandon them at the first possible time. I also want to know why the sun did not insist on Jokai keeping her promise. I don't want to rewrite this piece because I feel there are too many loose ends for me to tie up in a rewrite.

The Consequences of Generosity

This story seems to differ from some of the other stories I've read in that rather than someone suffering as a result of their selfishness or cruelty, the main characters in this story suffer as a result of the kindness they showed their good friend. I believe it was meant to teach a lesson about the fact that anyone can suffer the issues associated with poverty and destitution. It encourages compassion and understanding. All the people in the lives of this couple seemed to abandon them when the issue of their poverty arose.

A Brahman's Ban

The most interesting part of this story in my opinion is that it explores the idea that gods often require the aid of other gods and must perform supplications of their own in order to gain the favors they require. It shows how not only humans require divine intervention.

The Pir's Power

The capricious will and favor of gods seems to be a recurring theme throughout many of the stories I have read thus far. This one in particular reminds me of another from this same set of stories. In fact, I believe they were both about the god Satya Pir.

The Gander-Eater

I think the lessons to be gained from this particular story are that, firstly, sin can be ignored if due worship is made to a good-natured god or goddess. Secondly, the sins of one person can be atoned for by the worship and piety of another. One other noteworthy aspect of this story is the idea that this worship and love of the boy's mother created first a selfish, greedy boy then gifted him a kingdom to satiate his endless, insatiable desire. This would likely lead to a poorly led kingdom, but the woman loved her son so her actions make sense. Regardless, there is some moral ambiguity to her choices.

Bibliography: Archived Neogi's Sacred Tales of India

No comments:

Post a Comment