Thursday, April 6, 2017

Storybook Planning: Chand, The Unbeliever and The Divine Brothers

(Snake Pit)

After reading the first two sets of stories from Neogi's Sacred Tales of India, I felt that it would be very interesting to combine the two stories involving the goddess Padma because I believe her to be a very interesting character. I think I would like to write the story in a somewhat similar way to the manner in which I am writing my Storybook project. I want Padma to tell her story to Lahana while Lahana is staying in her house. 

I chose to combine these two stories because I felt that they would simultaneously explain the closeness between Lahana and Padma and add to the depth of the characters in the story. I think that I will write it as an exchange that occurs between the two before Padma leaves Lahana alone.

It will be written from Padma’s perspective because I want to show why Padma seems so fond of Lahana. I’m going to use her past to help explain that fact by illustrating how Padma would be accustomed to not receiving the same honors and gifts as the people around her. Being an illegitimate child would have given Padma a set of burdens to bear that she would have been forced to bear on a daily basis that would have made her more inclined to note the burdens Lahana bore as a woman without a family.

I don’t think that Padma will explain all her feelings to Lahana, but I think that she will explain to the girl her background in explanation of why she’s willing to help her. I’m going to write Padma as answering Lahana as to why she accepted her sons’ requests to adopt her for a time. She will lead into a story telling Lahana about her origins.

After she explains where she comes from, Padma will explain to Lahana that this is why she is willing to take her in and ease her troubles. She will not however, explain how fond it makes her of the girl. That will be illustrated in the narrative as thoughts passing through Padma’s head. It will be written in a semi-omniscient third person in order to give me the flexibility I need to be successful in this endeavor.


Bibliography: Chand, the Unbeliever & The Divine Brothers

2 comments:

  1. have never actually read Neogi's Sacred Tales of India, but from what it seems like it will be a pretty interesting read. I like the way you have planned this out. I have read another one of your stories on the story book, and if this is written in a similar way I know it will be fantastic. I am excited to read the final product.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks like it will be a great story whenever you get around to writing it! I tend to get a little bit mixed up with names when I read, so I am not sure if I have seen anything before on Padma and Lahana. There are so many names to keep straight! Maybe you can add a little excerpt about their past in the beginning and describe the characters! This looks great!

    ReplyDelete