Wednesday, April 5, 2017

Reading Notes: Neogi's Sacred Tales of India Part B

(Vishnu)

The Bride of Yama

The thing I found most interesting about this story were its themes of redemption, sacrifice, and piety. It raises questions about whether or not the sinner is the sole bearer of the burden of their mistakes. This story specifically seems to propose that that need not be the case. It suggests that earnest sacrifice by anyone for the sake of another is sufficient to garner mercy.

The Goddess who Devoured Elephants

This story is also centered around worship. This one seems to focus on the rewards of continuous piety and the fickle nature of a god or goddess spurned. I don't think I'll write about this one.

The Slayer of Kangsa

The interesting thing about this story is that I actually read about it through one of my classmate's storybooks. It focuses on punishment for the wicked and the punitive role of the gods in the affairs of man.

Chand, The Unbeliever

I find it vaguely amusing that this entire story is centered around the illegitimate daughter of a god who wishes, herself, to be known as a goddess. I also think it's interesting to connect this with the other story I read involving Padma and her children. I may write this into the piece I read yesterday.

Bibliography: Neogi's Sacred Tales of India

No comments:

Post a Comment