Monday, January 30, 2017

Reading Notes: Public Domain Edition Ramayana Section C


Sugriva and Hanuman
  • I'm having trouble picturing what size Hanuman might be.
  • I wonder why the son of the Wind God can't lie.
  • I think Rama and Hanuman already have an interesting sort of dynamic. On the one hand their relationship so far is very much "I'll help you out if you do the same for me" but on the other they already seem to be getting along very well and I anticipate that they will become extremely close.
Sugriva's Story
  • Why do so many heroic-warrior type characters insist on feeding their pride and ignoring good sense. If Vali had taken a moment to consider his brother's character there need not have been conflict.
  • I find it interesting that thus far the servant of Sugriva seems to have a much more central role than King Sugriva himself. 
  • I guess this means that Sugriva is not much of a warrior. I wonder if he was a good king.
Sugriva and Vali
  • It's insistence on violent solutions to problems that leads to situations like this. This could have been easily solved by simply having a level discussion together. 
  • I also think it's interesting that the women so often tend to offer insight to their husband's that fall on deaf ears.
  • I wonder why Vali and Tara's son brought the information to Tara first, not Vali. 
  • Maybe it's because he, correctly, believes that Tara will be more receptive to the news than his father.
Vali's Death
  • It seems that time away from Sita is making Rama more and more willing to loosen his morals for the sake of getting her back.
  • I want to know what caused Rama to wholeheartedly support Sugriva in spite of the fact that we, as readers, have seen no indication that Sugriva is more morally sound or fit to rule, nor does he have any claim to the throne over his brother.
  • In my rewrite, if I choose to include the stories that are centered around Sugriva and Vali, I'm going to make it clear that Sugriva, not Vali, belongs in the seat of power.
King Sugriva
  • The emotions described here are a very unconventional mix.
  • It's almost as if Vali was a good leader, but the people acknowledge the justice in his death because of either the way he treated his brother or the laws they have laid out regarding combat.
  • What I can't figure out at all is why they're praising Rama who only shot him with a bow and arrow.
The Rainy Season
  • It's interesting to see a hero give in to depression like this. Lament is an apt word for the bemoaning he's doing.
  • I want to highlight that in the story I'm writing. I think it shows depth of character. 
  • I also think that there's a lot of beautiful imagery I could add since this takes place during the rainy season.
The Armies
  • Sugriva's behavior makes me think that Vali actually might have been a better king. 
  • Rama may have aided Sugriva in order to have a powerful and easily mainpulated ally.
  • That's how I would write this - as Rama effectively lying down with a dog in order to achieve his ends.
Sampati
  • Sampati's character is an excellent reminder that, in general, the people in this story are rewarded for virtuous behavior and punished for evil behavior.
  • Does this mean that some harm will befall Rama or one of his friends because of the way that he killed Vali?
  • Why does Sampati call it the rape of Sita? Is he just assuming?
Sampati and Jatayu
  • More proof that Sampati is reflective of this fact.
  • Because he lost his wings protecting his brother he, in time, had them returned to him.
  • I like this small peek into Jatayu's past as well. 
Hanuman's Leap
  • These magical aspects of Hanuman's character may make him harder to adapt to my version. Perhaps I will give him a penchant for invention and a set of tools that can do many similar things to his powers in the original story.
  • This passage also reveals Hanuman's devotion and passion for his newfound friend.
  • I wish I knew what made him care about Rama so much and so quickly.
  • I do like the inclusion of a sea demon to demonstrate Hanuman's newfound power.
Hanuman in Lanka
  • This is a very telling chapter to the story. No one searching for Sita really actually knows what she looks like. They are currently on a countrywide search using the descriptors "pretty, faithful, and in love with Rama".
  • That is a poorly planned search if ever one existed.
  • I also find it interesting that, upon not initially finding a woman whose looks he does not know he assumes she must have been eaten.
  • I feel that Hanuman, though powerful, may be something of a rash character.
The Ashoka Grove
  • This part of the story starts getting into some cool adventures and gripping imagery that could make for an interesting adaptation
Sita and Ravana
  • How will Hanuman talk to Sita without getting caught?
  • I think it's interesting that Ravana is just now providing this ultimatuum. How long has it been since he kidnapped her?
  • Why might Ravana bring a train of his wives while trying to persuade Sita?
  • Perhaps they're supposed to be proof that he is a powerful warrior and a good husband.
Hanuman and Sita
  • Hanuman is a very persuasive monkey. He wastes no time convincing Sita that he is to be trusted.
  • I do like the devotion aspect of Sita's character, but in my story I want her to have more character traits apart from just devoted.
Hanuman Captured
  • I reiterate my point that Hanuman is clever and wily. It takes him no time at all to determine that it would benefit him greatly to allow himself to be captured. 
  • What does he have to say to Ravana?
  • Hanuman killed of Ravana's sons, I think.
Hanuman and Ravana
  • Ravana is an interesting character.
  • He is a demon and literally kidnapped Sita and is threatening her with death, but he won't defy social customs and kill Hanuman.
  • Why, specifically, setting his tail on fire?
  • Hanuman is very courageous to say to Ravana's face that he ought to let Sita go given the fact that he's in the middle of a court of demons.
The Burning of Lanka
  • Hanuman is generally very clever and courageous, but burning Lanka was fairly foolish.
  • I suppose this is what happens when someone whose tail has been lit on fire no longer feels pain from being burned, though.
  • Sita's prayers are very powerful. 
  • She and her husband are very holy.
The March on Lanka
  • I think Hanuman may be generally a rash person considering his advice was that the city was practically taken already because of his fires. 
  • Rama, when not losing his mind entirely about Sita, is more prudent.
  • I wonder if this means that Sugriva is permanently done being drunk and generally unhelpful.
Ravana's Court
  • Now that Maricha's dead, none of the demons have the good sense to just give Sita back to Rama and LEAVE HIM ALONE.
  • Seriously, every demon who has faced Rama so far has ended up dead - why are none of them getting the memo?
Vibhishana
  • Enter Vibhishana, the single demon with the good sense to say what they all should be thinking: Brother, you literally stole his wife. Why did you do that? Give her back or a bunch of people are going to die. The gods are not going to be okay with this. You STOLE his WIFE. Just give her back and apologize. 
  • I will be including this character in some story. 

Bibliography

No comments:

Post a Comment