Friday, January 20, 2017

Storybook Favorites from India: The Drama, Tales, and Travels

Three storybooks I read from past classes really stood out to me as exceptionally creative and engaging. Animal Cruise by Lauren Duchene, India Travel Journal by Evin Morrison, and Epic Women Tell All by Nicole (no last name provided)

Epic Women Tell All by Nicole (no last name provided)

Although I loved this storybook for its ingenuity and inventiveness, there are some obvious issues starting with the author’s failure to clearly denote who exactly created the book. The introduction is also a bit repetitive, but overall the story is fantastic. I have been exposed to the Ramayana a bit. I watched the classic animated Hindi retelling of the epic poem while my boyfriend sat by and explained some of the points that would not have made much sense to me otherwise. Nicole’s retelling of the stories of the women from these epics, two of whom come from the Ramayana, are clever plays on the characters that flesh out their personalities and give them more agency in the telling of the tale. She also played with the idea of how perspective can impact perception of people as either heroes or villains. The storybook was easy to navigate and had a clean design. All in all, it was an entertaining pleasure to read and may be one of the only talk shows I have ever enjoyed.

 

India Travel Journal by Evin Morrison

The main problem with Morrison’s Storybook is that there are a few grammatical errors. Issues like verb tense agreement can be found in more than one chapter. Honestly, though, I can not really complain past that. The introduction did a great job of grabbing my attention. I loved reading the stories and myths Evin incorporated into his book, and the style of writing it as a journal made it all very pleasant to read. I also loved the way that he utilized stories from the Ramayana to parallel Rama’s journey and growth with his main character Irene’s. Additionally, I felt that this storybook was really well organized. I thought that the inclusion of a sitemap was a great way of ensuring that people are able to find whichever journal entry they are looking for. Overall, I had a wonderful time reading this creative journal and almost wish there was more of it to read. 

(Top Left: Ganges River; Top Right: Open journal; Bottom: Indian Airlines Plane)

Animal Cruise by Lauren Duchene
 
Animal Cruise was by far the most creative of the three books I chose. It was ingenious to use the animal descendants of major players in the Ramayana to tell the untold stories of these characters. I loved that some of the less central characters were chosen for this exercise too. Additionally, I thought it was fun that the introduction was addressed to the reader as if they themselves were on this cruise listening to the stories of these animals. I very much enjoyed reading this storybook, and the design was very appealing.



1 comment:

  1. I thought this assignment was really fun! I hope to make my project in this class as entertaining as the ones I read and as entertaining as the ones you read appear to be! I liked the storybooks that had an interesting theme that told the story in a new way, especially the modern ones. My favorite that I read was from the perspective of Barney Stinson from How I Met Your Mother. These storybooks you chose could be really interesting to inspire your project!!

    ReplyDelete