Tuesday, January 31, 2017

Reading Notes: Public Domain Edition Ramayana Section D


The Bridge
  • Why did the King of the Ocean refuse to help Rama? Was it impossible or did he need to remain neutral?
  • I think it's interesting that Rama was often described as peaceful and sage and wise, but in relation to Sita he seems to often react violently and with great emotion - he threatened the very ocean.
  • I do think that this is a good show of persistence - when prayers and supplications failed him he continued to try; however, this also reflects poorly on his temper.
Rama Attacks
  • Sita is truly, truly dedicated to Rama if she is willing to die because he is dead.
  • I wonder why Ravana didn't try this trick earlier since she's clearly dedicated to her husband.
  • Ravana is a very stubborn person.
  • He has a host of gorgeous wives - why does he care so much about seducing Sita.
Indrajit
  • Why is it that when Indrajit hides to kill warriors with a bow and arrow it's evil, but when Rama does it to Vali he's considered a hero?
  • Sushena seems very level considering the situation. Has he seen battle before?
  • Ravana is really determined to go with this 'Rama is dead' ruse.
Kumbhakarna
  • I have difficulty picturing arrows severing someone's head. I may change that detail in my own story. 
  • Was Sugriva injured or killed when Kumbhakarna carried him off?
  • If the rakshasas were in such desperate straits that must mean that the monkeys and Rama's forces are making an incredible amount of progress. 
  • I have heard nothing more of the bears, though, are they still here?
Hanuman and the Mountain
  • Yes, the bears are still here.
  • This fits perfectly with everything I know about Hanuman so far - brave, strong, rash, impatient, and heroic.
  • I like this idea of the heroes playing smart, though. I want to include a similar scene where they use the situation to fool the villain into thinking they have won and leaving too early.
Lakshmana and Indrajit
  • Beheading seems to be a very popular mode of death.
  • Especially beheading by arrow.
  • I like this side of Lakshman - very brave and stoic as well as unerringly faithful.
  • Vibhishan is really wise. I think that's very central to his character. He very much serves as an advisor to the protagonists.
Ravana's Lament
  • This is a classic case of "you reap what you sow."
  • I think this scene would play nicely into the story I'm writing.
  • I also like the idea that grief can cause people to act in ways that one would not think that they might - for instance trying to kill the woman they're waging a war for.
Ravana and Lakshmana
  • I like how this scene emphasizes Lakshmana's humanity. He's not invulnerable. 
  • Ravana is a really good warrior. I think one of the points being made here is that, although generally associated with favor from the gods, being a good warrior does not necessarily mean that he is a good king or a good person.
Indra's Chariot
  • The gods are very willing in this story to become involved in mortal affairs.
  • Granted, they have something of a stake in this particular battle, but I'm noticing that they're generally not opposed to involving themselves for the sake of someone who prays to them for some kind of blessing or aide.
  • This is definitely supposed to be the epic battle scene where the hero turns the tide of the battle for his people.
Battle of Rama and Ravana
  • I wonder how worship to the Sun God will aid Rama's victory.
  • I didn't realize that Ravana was essentially the human equivalent of a Hydra.
  • Maybe Rama should try to shoot him in the heart.
Ravana's Death
  • I wonder if Rama was aware of the task the gods needed him to accomplish.
  • Did it have to be a divine weapon to pierce his heart?
  • I think it did because I would like to take the 'heart of iron' line literally. It would make sense given everything else I know about Ravana's character.
Mandodari's Lament
  • One thing I really really like about this story, and perhaps the culture of India, if this is, in fact, culturally accurate, is the immense respect people pay the dead. 
  • Rama chose to allow Ravana, the man who kidnapped and tried to seduce his wife, a proper funeral out of respect for the dead and mercy on the mourning.
  • I also like that no ill will is paid to the allies of an enemy once the enemy is defeated.
Sita and Rama
  • I can not believe that this is how Rama treats her after he literally fought a war to rescue her.
  • This will be altered in my story.
  • In lieu of this preposterous interaction, I may include an argument of some kind asking why Sita didn't try to escape, but this will not happen.
Sita Tested
  • I do not believe that Rama trusted Sita the whole time. I find that ridiculous. 
  • I do, however, acknowledge that the test was necessary for the belief of the people.
  • I see that Rama did not know he was a god. This makes some of his behavior quite interesting.
Pushpaka
  • None of this is new information, but I am wondering how long this all took.
  • Is their 14 years up now?
Rama and Bharata
  • One really interesting thing to me is how much the people in these stories tend to value their word. 
  • Bharata truly spent 14 years ruling in proxy with his brother's shoes in the throne. I find that very interesting because it isn't at all how people tend to behave in my experience, though there are some who truly value their word.
Rama Crowned King
  • One thing I've noticed is that, while Rama is often painted blue, other people who are said to be incarnations of gods are not necessarily also painted blue. 
  • The kingdom flourishes under a good and just ruler.
Valmiki's Hermitage
  • I have no idea whatsoever why Rama's sons are attacking the city.
Sita Departs
  • I would like to note that Rama did not have to die alone had he not sent Sita away in the first place. 
  • I think she may have prayed like that because she was beyond hope that she could live out a happy life with her husband who literally banished her.
Rama Departs
  • Apart from the fact that Rama destroyed his own love life, that is a very satisfying close to a gripping tale. I think it makes sense that eventually Rama and many of the people who adventured with him were ready to die. 
  • I find it interesting, though, that Rama did not allow Hanuman to follow him to heaven. I wonder if he was allowed to join him later.
  • Rama said he was to live forever, but perhaps that was not precisely what he meant.

Bibliography

No comments:

Post a Comment